Skillet Creamed Street Corn Chicken
So delicious with rice, avocado, and tortillas on the side for soaking up all that creamy corn sauce!
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour or gluten-free flour
- 6 chicken breast cutlets
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/2-2 teaspoons cayenne pepper, to your taste
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cups corn (3-4 raw)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 cup whole milk or heavy cream
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt or mayo
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3/4 cup crumbled cotija cheese
- 1 ear grilled corn, kernels removed from the cob
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Place the egg and flour in separate shallow bowls.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Dredge both sides of the chicken through the egg, and then through the flour, tossing to coat. Place the chicken on a plate.
- Mix the spices. In a bowl, combine the chili powder, paprika, cayenne, and a pinch of salt.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken and cook on both sides until golden, about 5 minutes per side. Remove the chicken from the pan.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and the onion to the same skillet. Cook until soft, 5 minutes.
- Add the corn, garlic, 2 teaspoons of the spice mix, and season with salt and pepper. Cook until the corn is softened, 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low.
- Mix in the cream cheese until melted and creamy.
- Stir in the milk and 1/2 cup water.
- Slide the chicken into the sauce. Cook until warmed through, 5 minutes.
- In a separate skillet, melt the butter until golden.
- Mix in 3 teaspoons of the spice mix, plus a pinch of chili flakes and salt.
- Cook another minute, then remove from the heat.
- Mix the Greek yogurt/mayo and lime juice with a pinch of salt.
- Remove the skillet from the stove.
- Serve the chicken and corn topped with grilled corn. Drizzle over the spicy butter and the Greek yogurt/mayo salt. Sprinkle on the crumbled cotija cheese and cilantro.
Original recipe available here.