I’ve been doing pretty well sticking to our meal plan for the week. We’ve moved around some of the meals but no emergency pizza calls or cereal nights so that’s a plus! Tonight we tried this recipe for shrimp and grits.. It was so simple to make but has a flavorful and simple taste. It’s the perfect weeknight meal after a busy week when you want something different but don’t want to make an extravagant meal. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
- 3/4 cup instant grits
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh parsley
- Bring 3 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat, covered.
- Uncover and slowly whisk in the grits, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Reduce the heat to medium low and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the parmesan and 1 tablespoon butter.
- Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper. Cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, season the shrimp with salt and pepper.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the shrimp, garlic and cayenne and cook, tossing, until the shrimp are pink, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add 2 tablespoons water, the lemon juice and parsley, stir to coat the shrimp with the sauce and season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the grits among shallow bowls and top with the shrimp and sauce. Serve.
Original recipe available here.